Monday, January 12, 2009

fun times

me on my snow sculpture...

work has been keeping me busy and my social calendar has really begun to fill as the season draws to a close, still so much to do and so many people to hang out with!  the prince of monaco visited us yesterday, he said we served him the best hamburger in antarctica! it is really getting cold again, with the wind chill it's close to -50 already! i have been working with the engineers in one of the newly constructed buildings to test and balance all the electrical devices and the ventilation system... i've been reading blueprints and using new devices for the calibrations, pretty cool!  i went to my redeployment meeting earlier this week.  i am due to fly straight through on feb 4th.  that means the only thing i'll do in mactown is change planes, although i have offered my services to unload the freighter that is due to arrive there in feb.  currently we are making flight and accommodation  decisions.  i am not sure what will be going on once i reach NZ, still talking to people here and coordinating post ice plans! also, we have all been struggling with 'raycats' which is raytheon's internal application site.  they have opened up next seasons jobs for us early, but this site is truly one of the most complicated i've ever encountered... it's been quite the topic of conversation in these parts!! i have not yet submitted any applications, haven't been able to catch the internet window in quite awhile.  i am off to work, i hope this finds you all healthy and happy and still enjoying '09!! take care, kgrace  


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hokey smokes, Bullwinkle! Just as we suspected, trailer trash has invaded the South Pole! What next? Roaches?

innermost said...

ah, gracie, come home. tell robert i love his head. anyone who thinks up a tropical paradise at 50 below is just my kinda guy! we are not so cold as y'all but let's just say- the weather here makes me think of you everyday. that's not the only reason i think about you of course. we need some grace energy. think spring, northern hemisphere spring. enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Hi, looks like you are having a good time. I keep thinking about writing to you but have little time to sit and write. I has been a little cold here, 17degrees. I've been working every day teaching, high and middle school.It is a blast,the kids come out with the wildest things. Your blog is fantastic, I really enjoy all the photos and narratives. I gave your blog to one of my kids, he's into checking out bogs in different countries. Hope you don't mind. I'll try to write soon. Keep up the good work and have as much fun as possible. Beverley

Anonymous said...

13 more sleeps until you head out!!! Way to go Grace! So very cool. I've just been catching up on your blog, whoa, very cool stuff.
btw, what does your customary 'good luck meal' consist of? Perhaps it can be recreated on the half New Year, a la half birthday style?
Sometimes it seems like Martha's Vineyard is the center of the universe, but in the off season, I'm starting to suspect that it may be Antarctica.
I'm glad you're having fun and it's going to be great to have you back.
xoCharlatte