Sunday, December 14, 2008

settling in

stuck shuttle van

legs in the trench
brian inside BICEP housing
me and my pick-axe manually trenching
Pete Mason and me 
at BICEP party

greetings!
i think i have finally settled in to the pole.  it was a long week of work, i spent several days either in a trench, digging a trench, or hand filling a trench...  it was an exhausting week.  i wish i could get up early during the week to write more here, but i barely manage to make it to work on time...i have found sleep to be my most precious commodity here!  last night we had a station viewing of 'the big lebowski', such a great cult classic movie!  i dressed up in a robe and mustache, since a beard was impossible.  it was a grand end to a long week.  my pal leith also was the 1st to get the shuttle van stuck yesterday, all the remaining day shift GA's drive the shuttle van during the week, and we were warned that getting stuck is inevitable, but of course, no one wants to be the 1st!  one of the science experiments, BICEP closed this week.  it is a telescope that measures CMBR, (cosmic microwave background radiation) essentially, the  beginnings of the universe.  the scientists involved in this research are grand folks and they threw a great party this past week after they'd dismantled the instrument so we could all come over and see it!  i volunteered to drive the shuttle van over that evening so that everyone could have a chance to experience some science, the reason we're all here! Pete Mason is the oldest person to ever be on the pole and is the lead scientist of this experiment.  i have great photos to upload, but the system is to slow at the moment... beth was asking about the full moon and it's effects on the nutters here, i am sure it has some effect, but we don't see the night sky while we're here so it is difficult to assess weather it's full moon madness or just another wacky day! tonight i am going to the lecture where the Norwegian traverse will be discussed.  i was out at the edge of the base when they pulled in last week, it was an amazing sight, like seeing the calistoga wagons of Antarctica! they do this annually, it is a scientific trip, but also quite fun!!  we are also due to receive the south pole traverse in the next few days, they are bringing us fuel and supplies, they only move 5mph, so this is a very long journey for them!  the satellite that provides our internet is about to pass out of view, so i must close, but i will endeavor to write more very soon and get some photos up!!! hope you all are well!! take care, karen grace    

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen,I just got a Christmas card from your Dad and he told me where you are and gave me your Blog. Thought I drop a short line. I think it's great what you are doing and where. I wish you the best of everything and a wonderful Christmas. I miss Orlando and your folks. I don't know if you remember me I worked with your Dad for many years and I am now in Georgia. I am Beverley Antos Take care, I am going to try to keep up with your Blog Bye Bev